Friday, June 3, 2011

Learning Khmer Language

Khmer may sound confusing but with a little patience and practice we can learn, don’t you know that there are 33 consonants and 26 vowels they had. The first word I learn the day I start to work here is the word thank you-or-koon (awkun).Answering Yes or No is based on gender, man should say baat and chaa for woman. With the help of monthly guide magazine, this is available in supermarket, for freeeee. I learn some  and of course constant communication with the locals. Ai is pronounced as in Thai; ay as in pay, dt takes the sound of t and bp takes the p sound. Here are some useful words. The () is how I pronounce or the way I talk with that word to them.

Water-teuk(tak)
Rice-bai
Meat-saich
Fish- t’ray (try)
Morning-bpreuk (prock)
Night-yoop (yop)
One-moo ay (moy)
Two-bpee (pee)
Three-bay
Note: Easy to remember are bad words but i will not post in here.:)

2 comments:

Jeff Chuah said...

i jz learned a bit of Khmer language during my visit there...

Michele said...

Thanks for visiting...:)